Tuesday, January 30, 2007

No Jury Would Convict Me

I was leaving my house early one dark New England morning, and I nearly ran down a jogger. A jogger that ran across the intersection, without regard to the headlights of my Volvo XC-90.

The jogger, who was black, was fashionably attired in black sweats, with no reflectors or flashing lights, and a black watch cap. The jogger came down a dark street, with no streetlights, and glared at me when I slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting him/her.

It begs the question: Why bother to try to stay in shape when you are not smart enough to know that being visible to the drivers with whom you share the road can save your life.

This is, in my opinion, the biggest problem with Boston. Pedestrians, by law, have the right of way in an intersection. As a consequence, they have no fear of being hit because they believe that the laws of the Commonwealth supersede the Law of Gross Tonnage.

I think, for just a week, cars should get a free shot at one pedestrian. Just one. Maybe two.

The crosswalk carnage might make a few of these idiots get religion about safety when they cross a street.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

can i get a shot or 3 at all the cyclists??