Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy Effin' New Year!

What A Long Strange Trip It's Been...
There was a snow storm yesterday, on New Year's Eve. And, it was bitter cold, with the temperatures hovering around, oh, 5 degrees Fahrenheit. (In other words, it was fucking cold, courtesy of man-made climate change.)

To top it all off, The Lifeguard was facing some serious impediments to his New Year's Eve plans. The weather led to cancellations, travel difficulties, and the like. And, at 3:00pm, I got the call that I was dreading....

"I don't think that Ryan will be able to make it tonight," she said. "It may be just you and me, if you don't mind."

"Sure, that's okay, I guess," I said.

So, I raced out to suburban Boston airfield and met my ride, a sleek, shiny G-V. (The picture above was taken on the plane. Hey, you have to be comfortable when you travel, right?)

Winging our way toward New York City, we sipped cocktails and ate some sushi that had been earlier procured from Nobu.

"I am really sorry that Ryan couldn't make it. I hope that you don't mind spending the night with me," she said.

"No, that's okay. Really, it'll be fun," I said. (The Lifeguard is always the life of the party. She knows it, I know it, get over it.)

Touching down at Westchester, and hopping a limo to The City was rather a drag; but, we got by, on icy cold Pol Roger and shrimp cocktail. Fantastic.

Then, last night, at a private party, we danced the night away. I actually didn't mind that Ryan couldn't make it. And, this morning, I woke up, alone...with a note pinned to the pillow:

"Thanks for a great
night. Hope that your 2009 is everything that you hope that it will be. Love and hugs, S." (The Lifeguard can not believe that anyone signs any note "Love and hugs.")

So, as The Lifeguard makes his way home (flying commercial...ugh!), he sends you the same wishes: That that your 2009 is everything that you want it to be.

(Of course, with President-Elect Barack Hussein Obama's swearing in just over two weeks away, whatever your hopes and dreams are will be fulfilled (especially if you are a member of the United Auto Workers, or future Senator William Jefferson Clinton).)

No comments: