The Democrat National Convention began in earnest, in The Queen City, Charlotte, North Carolina. ("The Queen City" is not a reference to the DNC platform position on LGBT issues.) Once again, The Lifeguard wades into a pool that, quite clearly, does not have enough chlorine, and which is too shallow for all of the idiots who have been diving in with reckless abandon.
In other words, it's the DNC edition of Speedos!
- Los Angeles mayor, Antonio Villaraigosa, a Democrat, remarked of the Republicans, “You can't just trot out a brown face or a Spanish surname and expect people are going to vote for your party or your candidate."
- Apparently, that's why the Democrats brought out Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick, the Brothers Castro, and Mrs. Obama.
- When The Lifeguard heard that the Castros were going to address the convention, he wondered who was going to speak first, Fidel, or Raul.
- San Antonio mayor, Julian Castro became the first Hispanic to deliver the keynote address for the Democrats. It sort of left The Lifeguard wondering, "Didn't the Republicans already do something like that?"
- Mayor Castro talks about how we can't all "...go our own way." How we need to stick with the things that unify us. (You know, like a common language.) Somehow, The Lifeguard thinks that Mayor Castro is just fine when it comes to holding on to the language of one's ancestors, even if that divides us as a nation.
- The Lifeguard must admit that Mrs. Obama, who holds the full-time, unpaid job as First Lady of the United States, has finally gotten her arms in shape.
- The Lifeguard must also admit that he threw up in his mouth when he heard that being first lady was a full-time, unpaid job.
- If a Republican said what Mayor Villaraigosa said, he (or she) would be pilloried in the press. And yet, isn't that what the Democrats do? All of the time.
- America's debt topped $16 trillion. That got about as much press as Mayor Villaraigosa's comment.
- The First Lady's speech was...okay. About like Mrs. Romney's speech a week before. (But, since Mrs. Obama doesn't have a dressage horse, the media thinks that she relates better to the American public.)
- Isn't anyone bothered at all of the Hitler references being made by Democrats? Anyone?
- If The Lifeguard compared Mrs. Obama to...say...Eva Peron, would people get all bat shit about it?
- Evita's dress was made by Tracy Reese. Good luck buying it for $395.00.
- The same article compares Evita to Katniss Everdeen.
- The Lifeguard thinks that political conventions would have way more viewers if every delegation sent one male and one female, as tribute. Then, the winner from each party could fight to the death. It would show that we, as a nation, were pretty fucking tough.
That's all for now.