Tuesday, April 25, 2006

My Cousin Vinny Redux

So, I was thinking about the one thing that I foolishly omitted from the review. The best of the courtroom lines, in my estimation (no, I am not talking about the "...two utes"), is at the end of the examination of the grit guy, Vinny says, "I got no more use for this guy."

Every trial lawyer, whether they want to admit it or not, wants to be able to use those words after tearing up a witness. They want to have the balls to say it, even when they know that the jury will hate them (more) for doing it. They want to reach into the soul of the witness, then rip it out by saying, "I got no more use for this guy."

My Cousin Vinny is a great movie because Vincent Gambini says and does many of the things that all lawyers wish they could get away with. And he does get away with it because he is charming, and a little bit weird, and prepared for trial.

We here at the Pool give My Cousin Vinny four life rings (out of four).

1 comment:

Christopher King said...

Nice. I've got that some photo on my blawg as well.

Closest I ever came to that was after I nailed some cop on cross in a First Amendment criminal defense case, we broke for lunch. On resuming, the line of questioning set up as it had left off and I said "Umm, that felt good let's do it again."

Further endearing me to the Columbus, Ohio establishment.