Tuesday, September 12, 2006

This is not an excuse to post a picture of Demi Moore....

I was thinking back on some of the really stupid things that lawyers, or their clients, say in court. I was reminded, recently, of one more ridiculous line from the most excellent A Few Good Men, a film previously reviewed raht he-yah.

It struck at my very marrow, the core of my being.

After an objection is overruled, and Galloway "strenuously objects", Kaffee gives us this gem:

"I strenuously object?" Is that how it's done? Hm? "Objection, your Honor." "Overruled" "No, no. I STRENUOUSLY object." "Oh. You strenuously object. Then I'll take some time and reconsider."

Lawyers often forget that an overruled objection is not a bad thing, especially in a bench trial. It can be a harbinger of the judge's ultimate decision. In other words, I have pretty much decided you are going to win; but, when you object, I will overrule you...so the DA doesn't feel like he's being jobbed.

Alternatively, it means that your case sucks and you are going down, like Amelia Earhart.

There is a third, and very remote possibility, however. It could mean that the Judge is just too damned stupid to figure out your objection, and he has taken the easy way out. Oh, wait...stupid judges...no. Never mind. That couldn't happen.

Yeah, so it either means that you are going to win, or you are going to lose.

Any other questions?

Ed. Note: This rather lame post was not an excuse to use a picture of Demi Moore in uniform. Really, there was a point, and it was not merely to put up a picture of Demi Moore, looking hot in a Navy uniform. Really.

No comments: